Have the newest Skull Panda comics been submitted here? Because they really should be.
Original links are there and there. :)
I’ve never noticed the dog bone thing… I’ll have to go back in the archives and see how many fit that description!
Remember a while back I posted a link to Jim C. Hines trying to pose the way women are posed on novel covers? (Which has since been re-submitted to me 10000000 times XD )
He’s done a sequel after all the usual “but men are objectified toooo” & “what about romance covers huh? huh? huh?” (this one is particularly problematic in another way because it implies that every other genre is specifically meant to be a hetero male sexual fantasy.
There it is. The painful life of posing like a man. XD
He’s so brilliant I want to give him infinite hugs. :D
I love that he photoshopped himself in both poses in the last one too.
Edit: I should probably leave his conclusions here too:
- Men on book covers are indeed posed shirtless in ways that show off their musculature. However…
- Male poses do not generally emphasize sexuality at the expense of all other considerations.
- Male poses do emphasize the character’s power and strength in a way many (most?) female cover poses don’t.
- When posed with a woman, the man will usually be in the dominant, more powerful posture.
- Male poses do not generally require a visit to the chiropractor afterward.
- See also ocelott’s post comparing male and female poses. She comes to pretty much the same conclusions as I did.