Gender doesn’t matter, you say? Well!
Then let’s just make Batman, Green Lantern, and Aquaman into females. Flashpoint’s over, the continuity’s rebooted, and now they always have been women.
Since gender doesn’t matter, obviously nobody will complain. Noooooobody at all.
That’s a whole other point there. Those are established characters that are so deeply ingrained that there would be backlash from any change, much less one so large.
I hate to do this, but I have to agree with the other guy here. Because to me, at least in the actual pages, it doesn’t really matter. I don’t want it to be a completely white, straight, male superhero world, but at the same time, I don’t think people should be forced to add characters in simply for diversity.
I love comics. I really do. But I have to say this. IT’S. FUCKING. COMICS. It’s a story, and the creators have the right to do whatever they want with whatever characters they choose. It’s not being sexist, it’s not being racist. It just is. No one can help that the large superheros (Batman, The Flash, Superman) are all white males. That’s just those characters. Get over it.
Now, as far as the creative side goes, I can understand that a bit more, and although DiDio sounds like a dick there, he might be right. If the public (who will be buying these comics) are not fans of female writers, then how can they really hire them? In most cases, I’d imagine that they are trying to have as many well known/established names as they can for something like this.
I’m pretty sure the creators can help what gender the characters are. They’re the creators! That’s what they have control over! DC just decided with this reboot that Superman’s an orphan and that he’s no longer married to Lois Lane. They can change, at will, the status of Superman’s parents. They can change, at will, the status of Superman’s marriage. They can change, at will, ANYTHING. They’re the publishers!
Superman’s gender, race, and sexual orientation are a choice. They will always be a choice.
But as you accuse me of missing the larger point, I think you missed mine. The person I was responding to was saying, essentially, that girls have one or two characters in comics already, which they should be happy with. Why? Because gender doesn’t matter! It doesn’t matter if you’re a hero with boobs or a penis. Look how progressive we are, claiming that gender doesn’t matter, and because gender doesn’t matter, marginalized people shouldn’t complain. Because we’re all equal, right? Uppity chicks should just shut the hell up and be satisfied they get Black Canary at all.
But gender DOES matter. Because, as you said, it’s ingrained in our minds that Batman is male. If tomorrow he were female, folks would throw up a tizzy. This proves my point. The smug “oh shut up gender shouldn’t matter” dodge has no basis in reality. If that statement were factual, then nobody would care what gender Batman is. They wouldn’t. It wouldn’t matter what tradition is or what he’s been for 75 years.
But it does. It matters to a lot of people that Batman is male. You yourself just said this. So, yes, god yes, gender matters.
- oberstein likes this
- sparklingcleanlies reblogged this from websnark
- pancakesaresosexy likes this
- cyggiestardust reblogged this from danaetheuncreative
- cyggiestardust likes this
- iwasawasstrings reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- iwasawasstrings likes this
- cyb3rm00k likes this
- kidgoober reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- theesquee reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- theesquee likes this
- alkonoststorm reblogged this from danaetheuncreative
- thebaronofeggs reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz and added:
- danaetheuncreative reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- danaetheuncreative likes this
- cray-crayforcrayola likes this
- nicetoss likes this
- mal-luck likes this
- princess-diego-brando likes this
- agentoklahoma likes this
- sweet-dreams-are-made-of-my-dick likes this
- notatroll7 reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- the-stray-liger likes this
- epickiu likes this
- leonawriter likes this
- tsukuyomi-chan likes this
- natsukahchie likes this
- tonyshalube likes this
- spookyzilla likes this
- yusei-sama-kun-senpai reblogged this from miss-nerdgasmz
- ninjapanda314 likes this
- miss-nerdgasmz reblogged this from magistrasa
- latulasradcatchbro likes this
- miss-nerdgasmz likes this
- magistrasa reblogged this from frankcoffee
- mickiebeau reblogged this from frankcoffee
- mickiebeau likes this
- teland likes this
- frankcoffee reblogged this from websnark
- impoopster likes this
- jasoncodd reblogged this from websnark
- jasoncodd likes this
- musethisway likes this
- interimnity likes this
- hy0ye0n reblogged this from albinwonderland
- kaijuvsgiantrobotsvsme likes this
- theblackram reblogged this from katebrezzy
- ozziescribbler likes this
- xarciel likes this