Chris Howard: America really looks like this - I was looking at the amazing 2012 election maps created by Mark Newman (Department of Physics and Center for the Study of Complex Systems, University of Michigan, http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012 ), and although there is a very interesting blended voting map (Most of the country is some shade of purple, a varied blend of Democrat blue and Republican red) what I really wanted was this blended map with a population density overlay. Because what really stands out is how red the nation seems to be when you do not take the voting population into account; when you do so many of those vast red mid-west blocks fade into pale pink and lavender (very low population).
So I created a new map using Mark’s blended voting map based on the actual numbers of votes for each party overlaid with population maps from Texas Tech University and other sources.
Here’s the result—what the American political voting distribution really looks like.
Now THIS is the most accurate map that I’ve seen, and it is fascinating.
what’s really interesting to me is the dark blue cities, dark red suburbs pattern.
i knew urban voters are liberal, but i did not know that suburban voters are more conservative than rural voters.
They’re not more conservative. The darker color means population density, not severity of beliefs.
- markholyoake-photography likes this
- global-inv likes this
- taichi-motion likes this
- icorp-board likes this
- satisfiedobsessions likes this
- dejtuj likes this
- fairlyprimeparents reblogged this from oodz
- -cellodora likes this
- caffeineandsarcasm reblogged this from diaryofamadtheatermajor
- omgnancywtf reblogged this from misspelledverse
- diaryofamadtheatermajor reblogged this from misspelledverse
- misspelledverse reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- carpetingsandiego likes this
- very-touchstone reblogged this from liminal-zone
- tnhen likes this
- villa-luxe-marrakech reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- alecnight likes this
- lemonbluesky reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- klevergirrl reblogged this from kimlys
- klevergirrl likes this
- kimlys reblogged this from saunteringvaguelydownwards
- veryfashionable reblogged this from patternicity
- miladybookworm likes this
- momentsoflucidity reblogged this from rejecteddemo
- lightanddarklove likes this
- bugaboocameleon likes this
- beneathtroubledwaters reblogged this from jspop
- fairlyprimeparents likes this
- bananastiel reblogged this from empressfab
- reesesksk likes this
- shelapse reblogged this from ryleegordon
- branches-and-boulders reblogged this from withahappyrefrain
- namburglar likes this
- joleebindo reblogged this from danish-dino
- joleebindo likes this
- danish-dino reblogged this from kittensandskeletons
- ellobruce reblogged this from patternicity
- koimaeda likes this
- sayakaaa likes this
- deactivatedinky reblogged this from mathjargon
- waylaid-by-art likes this
- welpthisisrandom reblogged this from gatissimo
- welighttheway reblogged this from 1-4victor-acknowledges-all
- arthur-conan-doyle reblogged this from winterofcontent
- yellowdesklamp likes this
- shaylaalala likes this
- roseredrosered reblogged this from featheronaflume
- alpha-bits likes this